Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Livejournal Post, 9/2/08- The Diagnosis, dun dun dun..

Kaylin Marie has cancer at 23.

I always knew I had a crappy immune system, but really, I thought I'd last a little longer. I get to see the oncologist on monday so they can "stage me" and see if it's localized or if it has spead. I will likely need surgery and chemo.
I am an agnostic but... pray for me just in case?
It is an ewing's sarcoma. wiki says:

Treatment
Because almost all patients with apparently localized disease at diagnosis have occult metastatic disease, multidrug chemotherapy (often including ifosfamide and etoposide)[9] as well as local disease control with surgery and/or radiation is indicated in the treatment of all patients.

Treatment often consists of neo-adjuvant chemotherapy generally followed by wide or radical excision, and may also include radiotherapy. Complete excision at the time of biopsy may be performed if malignancy is confirmed at that time. Treatment lengths vary depending on location and stage of the disease at diagnosis. Radical chemotherapy may be as short as 6 treatments at 3 week cycles, however most patients will undergo chemotherapy for 6-12 months and radiation therapy for 5-8 weeks.

Prognosis

Staging attempts to distinguish patients with localized from those with metastatic disease.[12] Most commonly, metastases occur in the chest, bone and/or bone marrow. Less common sites include the central nervous system and lymph nodes.
Survival for localized disease is 70% to 80% when treated with chemotherapy.[13] Long term survival for metastatic disease can be less than 10% but some sources state it is 25-30%