Wednesday, September 10, 2008

on trading sewing needles for hypodermic ones...

I have two self portraits today:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The first is after emailing my professor to say that I'd have to miss real class tomorrow in lieu of "chemo class". I get my port put in tomorrow as well. One of the only things I can't take- the only thing that breaks me down- is the very real possibility that I won't be continuing school. I cry every single time I email my teachers.

I also got a call from the surgeon this morning- the cancer has not spread to my lungs. joy! We have two options: surgery or radiation. Surgery would involve taking out half of my pelvic bone. It would be years of recovery, and I most likely would need to walk with a cane. Radiation involves some very unpleasant side effects and the possibility of me turning into Rogue or having some sort of nuke superpower. Needless to say, I chose this option.

I am grappling with the issue of infertility due to radiation. It's fucking depressing, let me tell you, because I would make such a rad mom. They will save my little eggies for me just in case, but really, it's like having your womanhood stolen from you.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Later on the sister and I went to the super AZN mega mart in south sac to buy ancient chinese secrets and jolly jelly shooters.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
always match your shirt to your trolley.


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
I bought ol' san lazaro so I can light him up and meditate on the fact that at least I'm not that guy.

5 comments:

aliterarymarvel said...

I know you're agnostic, but I decided after pissing away all the years of church my parents forced upon me I'd explore on my own. I have my own thoughts and ideas about God and his posse and while I can't exactly put a label on how I perceive things, I know someone is listening to me. Black? Maybe. Woman? Perhaps. None the less I am thinking of you when me and Jesus have our talks which I suppose means I am praying for you. Asian markets tend to make things better, I always treat myself to a mysterious candy with Hello Kitty and it always makes me feel better. I know my dialysis treatment is nothing like radiation, but again I'm here. Love love.

Val said...

LOL yeah lepers have body parts that fall off.
I think you made a good decision on the radiation vs missing pelvis.
Hooray for no spread!!!! That made me really excited :)
what the hell is a jolly jelly shooter? We don't have asian markets here in ole bama

Anonymous said...

Talk to a doctor about harvesting and freezing some eggs. I got screwed out of that one since my drs didn't think about it or even ask me..and I found out too late. You might have a chance having kids down the future. You should do this before the treatments start.

Anonymous said...

oh duh...I totally misread what you wrote. *tired* That's awesome they're doing that for you. At least you know they will be there for when you're ready to be an awesome mom. :)

kaylin andres said...

hey sara- they're actually not saving my eggs, because it would take too much time and they wanted me on chemo NOW. the Dr. just lied to me. ughhh.

well, you never know, i guess..